Friday, August 12, 2016

Dear Gan Yarok Community,

This week I had the pleasure of tending to our community garden alongside Naomi Lopkin.

 At 6:30 AM on Tuesday I gathered my harvest knife and sun hat, and drove my vegetable oil powered station wagon to our small productive garden. Farming in the morning is a preferred time for many farmers, because the early day temperatures can be more temperate for physical work. Personally I find working in abundant nature can be therapeutic and grounding for the day...I think if it as an extension of the Shaharit service. This idea of morning "Avodat Lev" or "Work of the Heart" is something I learned at the Adamah Jewish Farming Fellowship in CT, where we would wake up at 6AM for chanting and nature walks. 

As the cool mist rose around me, I weeded tomatoes, onions, and carrot. Once the weeds were taken care of, I harvested some large frying peppers, tomatoes, and a bunch of basil for an upcoming dinner. 

After completing field work, I began the lengthy task of drenching each plant with water. We are currently in a "Sever Drought" status, which poses a serious challenge to the Massachusetts eco-system. Many farms in the area are experiencing 30-50% crop loss, and farmers spending most of their time moving long drip irrigation lines from field to field (a system that was invented in Israel). 

For our garden, the drought means dry soil and some loss of plant life. Although there are negatives to the lack of water, I also think it is important to recognize the gifts of food we are currently receiving at this time. Although the squash is now done producing, peppers and tomatoes are doing very well in this hot dry spell! 

At 7:30AM the temperature is already at a steamy 75 degrees, so it is time to head to my job at The Food Project, where I manage a social justice farming education program for teenagers. As I leave Gan Yarok I notice a small cucumber that provides me with a juicy refreshing snack. Eating food from our garden makes me appreciate all of the strong hands and community efforts that help grow food in a meaningful way. Thank you to everyone for growing healthy delicious food!

Let's pray for some more rain!

 Shabbat Shalom,
 
Alex 

Inline image 2

Inline image 4



Inline image 1

No comments:

Post a Comment